


First sock
Saturday we were on our way to my grandparents to help them set up a new phone line. I decided to see if I could knit a little sock in preperation for the knitting olympics. I must have been 6 to 8 rows into the rib when the truck started to hydroplane. I held on tight to the needles while we spun hitting the guardrail (was it really three times?) It had to have been two football fields long from beginning to end. The whole time saying calm things to my four kids. " Everythings alright, were ok, . . ." Once we stopped we were facing traffic.We had landed right on the end of the guardrail. I paused in disbelief that we were all alive, no blood, no roll over, and then thought hmmm, better get out before another car hydroplanes into us. So I threw my needles into the floorboard had to use both feet to jump on the door to open it and ordered the kids out. Their door was jammed shut next to the guardrail so they had to come out mine. Poor Kate (three) was freaking and couldnt focus enough to even unbuckle herself. I will never forget the sound of her voice, innocence and true desperation. We all got out and ran into the median. Pat was still in the car cause he couldnt open his door with the oncoming traffic and was concerned with calling 911. Just as I feared another truck came behind us hydroplaning. It stopped three car lengths behind our truck. Her front tires were shreded. My kids told me later they thought they were going to watch their daddy die (so did I). As the other truck came hyproplaning down the hill I jumped back with Bryant and Kate. As I turned to shout at Julia to grab the baby she was grabing the car seat and backing up. I was so proud of Julia for being so responsible and taking care of the baby. :) Once the paramedics came they brought us into the ambulance to stay warm and out of the rain. My dad came to pick us up, I was so glad to see him. We loaded the kids into his truck and I went back to the truck and recovered my knot of a sock and both my knitting bags before the wrecker took the truck. heh Everyone is doing well. Sleeping through the night. We all feel blessed to be on the other side. I worked a row or two Saturday for my nerves. But got serious sunday night and finished it.
Sock details. Knit with Knit Picks Sock Memories color Paperdolls. The color is so much prettier knit up then in the skein. The pattern is North Country Cotton Baby Socks. I added 5 or 6 rows to the length of the foot. It turned out to be a size newborn. There are some ladders at the bottom of the foot. I gotta ask Ingrid about that. (Waving at Ingrid). I've started a new pattern out of a book on size 3s, yikes. The first three rounds were scary. But its going good now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home